News

Maulden Village Show, Village Hall, Saturday 24th June 2017. 12-3pm

An afternoon of musical performances with an array of stalls, bouncy castles, pony rides, raffle and BBQ.
Free Entry

MV NHP Steering Committee Minutes 26 April 2017

Minutes of the 12th meeting – 26 April 2017

Held in the upstairs Meeting Room, at The George Inn, Maulden, 20:00hrs

Present

Committee/Working Group members:

Simon Barnes Acting Chair (Treasurer/Chair Local Economy WG)

Alan Plom (Secretary/Chair Infrastructure WG)

Cllr Roger Ball (Maulden Parish Council)

Simon Ratcliffe (Local Economy WG)

Ruth Plom (Social, Welfare, Education WG)

Observers:

Cath Benneyworth

Leslie Reynolds

Mike Browning

Nigel Coote

Apologies for absence:

David Bailey (SG Chair)

Alan Murray (Communications)

Marilyn Caves

Julian Smith

Mark Bingham

Cllr Philip Jackson (MPC Chair)

Cllr Stephen Summerfield (MPC)

Sue Bluffield

Ian Hill-Smith

  1. Welcome and Update
  1. Simon Barnes (SB) chaired the meeting as David Bailey was unable to attend due to work commitments.  Simon stressed that pressure of work and other personal commitments was becoming a significant problem for the Group, with two key people who may not be able to remain involved. 
  2. More volunteers are needed urgently to help build on the work done so far. This is vital if we are to deliver the Plan, which is “massively important” to the future of the Village. It was agreed that we particularly need to involve younger members of the Community.
  3. This could be delivered through a series of ‘mini-projects’.  AP suggested these could form ideal topics for students at local schools to incorporate in their studies, eg produce a film aimed at the ‘younger’ generation.

     [ACTION: SR to establish contact with Redborne, via Alameda School.] 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting (29/3/17)

Agree subject to 2 minor amendments [Min 8.1(b) Action = SB, and 9(iv)] and Simon signed. [ACTION: AP to amend and post in the NHP Dropbox folder and on MauldenVillage.org website.]

  1. Matters arising and review of actions (carried forward from previous meetings)

Actions arising from 30/11/16, 25/1/17, 22/2/17 and 29/3/17 not covered on agenda were deferred to the next meeting.    [ACTION: AP to produce a summary list for next meeting.]

  1. Village update
    1. CBC’s draft ‘Local Plan’ – consultation [RB]
  1. Siobhan Vincent (CBC’s Neighbourhood Involvement Officer) had explained the consultation process for CBC’s ‘Community Plan’ at our last meeting. RB reminded us that the views of attendees at the “Shaping Where you Live” event held at Haynes Village Hall on 23 Feb were collected by completing a questionnaire and placing coloured dots on a map showing the sites selected from CBC’s Call For Sites exercise. A photo of the map and subject headings had been posted on Maulden Voice. [ACTION: AP to post copies in Dropbox.]
  2. CBC’s  questions were grouped under the headings:
      • Local Character
      • Transport
      • Jobs and Business
      • Environment
      • Homes
      • Growth and Infrastructure
  1. CBC’s analysis had just been published and RB anticipated this will be presented at MPC’s next meeting (8/5/17).  [ACTION: RB to summarise the findings at the next NHP meeting.]
    1. Joint NHP/Maulden PC Housing consultation meeting (3/4/17) [AP/RB]
  1. All agreed that this had been a very successful meeting. Nearly 100 had attended the meeting in the Village Hall on 3 April. The strips of 7-colour dots left over from CBC’s consultation were used to identify individual’s preferences, ie 3x ‘for’ and 3x ‘against’ the potential development sites selected by CBC.  The multi-coloured dots avoided ‘herd-mentality’, and the extra white dot was used to link those placed on the map to completed Questionnaires. The MPC-owned land from the corner of Clophill Rd and Silsoe Rd to the allotments had also been added to the map as another option.
  2. Alan and Ruth Plom were thanked for analysing the location of the 325 coloured stickers placed on the Call for Sites map.  This had revealed a few apparent clearer ‘majority preferences’. In particular: ‘no-building’ on the site adjacent to Ampthill, the land behind Duck End Farm, the ‘Pig Farm’ on Clophill Road and Old Hall Farm on Clophill Rd. Two sites with a significant majority in favour ‘for’ building were the MPC-owned land on the corner of Clophill Rd and Silsoe Rd/Allotment area, and land behind The Brache.  [ACTION:  Mike Browning offered to type the stats into an Excel Spreadsheet]

[ACTION:  Nigel Coote said he could produce an ‘infographic’ type map summarising the analysis. Suitable format map to be obtained from Robbie Locke/Siobhan Vincent.]

  1. DB had adapted the Housing Questionnaire produced for the first NHP Introductory meeting in January, so they could be linked to the placement of dots on the Call for Sites map, and to record detailed information about the demand, size and type of properties needed. [ACTION: Volunteers needed to analyse the questionnaires. To be raised at AGM.]
  1. As people arrived they were asked to complete a signing-in slip, and invited to provide their address and/or leave a contact email address.  It was also emphasised that the information being collected would be anonymous.  However, ‘only’ 56 (of a potential 95) forms had been handed in.  It was assumed some represented the views of couples.  A small number admitted they had come from Ampthill – who would probably have objected to the large adjacent site.  [NB. They were asked to indicate they were from Ampthill on their forms.] 

[ACTION: Ruth Plom agreed to type names and email addresses into a spreadsheet so we can contact attendees in future.]

    1. Report from Maulden Parish Council meetings (13/3/17 + 27/3/17) [RB/PJ]

Cllr Roger Ball gave an update on relevant developments since the last MPC meeting on 27/3/17 – including the ongoing discussion about introducing ‘Health Hubs’ in Central Beds and the status of MPC’s ‘Working Groups’/sub-Committees regarding the requirement to hold meetings in public IF they were ‘decision-making’ bodies.

    1. Recent Planning Applications

RB confirmed that the PC had objected to the recent applications on the grounds that they are outside the ‘Development Envelope’; would cause a loss of green spaces and agricultural land; the school being full and increased traffic, as well as foreshadowing the emerging Maulden Neighbourhood Plan. It was suggested that a map of ‘recent and pending’ Planning Applications should be produced and maintained for public reference.

[ACTION: RB to ask Cllr Allen if there is a complete list which could be made available.]

  1. Funding
  1. SB (NHP Treasurer) explained that the application for funding had not been finalised due to other pressures, and the fact that several written estimates are needed for each item of proposed expenditure.  [ACTION:  SB to discuss with DB and submit application asap.]
  2. RB confirmed that the PC had also agreed to ‘loan’ the NHP up to £250 for publicity materials etc, in advance of funding being received. This would be available in the 2017-18 budget.             
  1. Project Plan
    1. AGM
  1. The proposed AGM on 25 April proved impossible due to the non-availability of key individuals and work pressures.  SB’s proposal to hold the AGM immediately before the next meeting, in The George and starting at 19:30hrs, on 31 May, was agreed. [ACTION: SB/AP to discuss agenda with DB.]
  2. SR suggested we should be radical – ie consider changing the structure away from ‘formal Committees’ (which can turn people off getting involved) to ‘Focus Groups’.  AP recalled these had been used successfully by some other NHPs. [NB. Reports are available in Dropbox and hard copy (from AP).] SB advised that the Steering Group was in effect a small ‘Executive Committee’ to which Working Groups reported. Consultants might also be able to advise us on alternative structures.  AP suggested that the CBC NHP Training Day would also be an opportunity to discuss what others have done and what works (or not!).
  3. (iii) It was agreed that a resume of the year and the proposed introductory leaflet – using the (to be finalised) logo – will be presented at the AGM. The AGM will be advertised on social media. A poster could also be produced for display in local shops and pubs. It could also be advertised via Maulden Lower School.  [ACTION SB/SR]
    1. Steering Group & Working Group Membership

As discussed earlier, more volunteers and active support is needed. This would be raised at the AGM.

    1. Developing the Timeline
  1. AP reported that Julian Smith had a contact in a local consultancy company (Woods Hardwick Associates) who had already prepared an NHP for Bletsoe and had recently been commissioned to produce Henlow’s NHP. [ACTION: AP to obtain details and a quote if possible.] 
  2. The Project Plan will be reviewed at the AGM. [ACTION: SB to discuss with DB and AP.]
    1. CBC Training Event

AP had contacted Siobhan Vincent – the training session has been deferred from Friday 28 April to another Friday, in May (date TBC).    [ACTION:  AP to chase up CBC again and inform WGp Leaders of date, asap.] 

  1. Working Group Updates
  1. Infrastructure – AP reported that he had established contact with the person who had pushed through the traffic calming measures in Greenfield.  He has agreed to advise the Group. AP had also discovered some useful research reports on Traffic Calming, posted on the Dropbox by DB last year.
  2. Other WGps – Deferred to next meeting. AP reminded members of the wide range of information relevant to each Group that DB had posted in Dropbox.  [ACTION:  WGp Leaders to review available information.]
  1. Communications
    1. MNHP Logo – SR has adapted the design. [ACTION: SR to circulate the final design, TBC with SB.]
    2. Publicity Statement – for leaflet, etc.  It was agreed effective ‘communications’ is vital and a ‘Communication Team’ should be created – to include SB, SR, NC and AM.  [ACTION: SB]
    3. (iii)Banner – Ideally needed for the AGM. [ACTION:  AP to resend quote to SB.  SB to arrange purchase – possibly using MNHP funds?]
  1. AOB
  1. Next meeting + AGM = Wednesday 31 May, starting earlier at 7:30pm, in The George, with the Steering Group expected to start at ~ 8:30pm.  [ACTION: AP confirmed upstairs meeting room is booked – through to November.]

Meeting ended at 21:30pm

MV NHP Steering Committee Minutes 29 March 2017

Minutes of the 11th meeting – 29 March 2017

Held in the Main Bar, at The George Inn, Maulden, 20:00hrs

Present

Committee/Working Group members:

Simon Barnes (Treasurer/Chair Local Economy WG)

Alan Plom (Secretary/Chair Infrastructure WG)

Cllr Roger Ball (Maulden Parish Council)

Simon Ratcliffe (Local Economy WG)

Ruth Plom        }

Mark Bingham } (Social, Welfare, Education WG)

Sarah Michael  }

Apologies for absence:

David Bailey (SG Chair)

Alan Murray (Communications)

Cllr Christine Inskip (MPC)

Marilyn Caves

Julian Smith

Guest Speaker

Siobhan Vincent (CBC)

Observers:

Cllr Philip Allen (MPC)

Cllr Philip Jackson (MPC Chair)

Cllr Stephen Summerfield (MPC)

Cath Benneyworth

Ian Hill-Smith

Leslie Reynolds

Mike Browning

Mike Hill

Nigel Coote

Sue Bluffield

  1. Welcome and Update

Simon Barnes (SB) chaired the meeting as Chair David Bailey was unable to attend at the last minute.  The upstairs meeting room was double-booked so we met in the bar (not ideal due to background noise). It was reported that Julie Sheppard (Vice Chair and Chair of the Social, Education & Welfare WG) had resigned from the Steering Group and was no longer working on the Plan, leaving a significant vacancy.  Julie was thanked for her input and will be sorely missed.

  1. Minutes of previous meeting (22/2/17)

Agreed and Simon signed – [ACTION: AP to remove ‘draft’ from title before posting in the NHP Dropbox folder and on MauldenVillage.org website.]

  1. Matters arising and actions carried forward

The full lists of matters arising (from 30/11/16, 25/1/17 and 22/2/17) deferred to next meeting.

  1. Village update
  1. CBC’s ‘Community Planning’ event (23/2/17)
    1. Siobhan Vincent (CBC’s Neighbourhood Involvement Officer) explained that the “Shaping Where you Live” event held at Haynes Village Hall was one of a series in Central Beds.  It was intended to gauge the preferences of residents (in Maulden, Clophill and Haynes), to feed into CBC’s ‘Community Plan’. The analysis and conclusions will be available in ~4 weeks.
    2. The draft Plan is scheduled to be presented to CBC’s Executive Committee on 6 June, followed by an 8-week consultation period. It will then be amended as necessary, before issued again for comment and finally returned to the Committee in December 2017. The final Local ‘Community’ Plan is expected to be published in summer 2018.
    3. Several NHP Steering Group and MPC members had attended (including SB, AP, RB and Philip Jackson and Phil Allen). PJ thought that CBC’s questionnaire was ‘light’ on housing and preferences for type of development could not be indicated.  Others thought that the options given were not clear. Philip also asked when the results of the Call for Sites exercise, criteria and guidelines on numbers for Parishes to work to, would be released.
    4. Siobhan reported that of 846 sites submitted 220 had been filtered out for consideration. The outcome would be available by end of June 2017.  Although the draft CBC Plan would not be binding, it will provide evidence for CBC and PC’s to consider in relation to planning applications.  She also advised that any housing agreed before the Plan was published would not be included in the projected totals.
    5. PJ stressed that the village still needs a Neighbourhood Plan – agreed by referendum – as this would have significant influence on planning decisions. MPC has objected to the recent applications on the basis that they are outside the ‘Development Envelope’ and would cause a loss of green spaces and agricultural land, etc, MPC has also referred to the emerging Maulden Neighbourhood Plan and these applications being “premature and insufficient”.
    6. However, the PC accepted that the village will have to grow to meet future targets, possibly by as many as 200 houses. The current problem is that CBC has to work in accordance with the current National Planning Framework, which gives a presumption of approval – even if the infrastructure is inadequate.
    7. Any development should be allowed in the least damaging way so collecting the evidence to support objections is critical. This would also inform what we could request Developer’s contribute to the village.  This would come from the levy imposed on developers (under ‘Section 106’) for developments of more than 5 houses.  The village also needs to decide if it prefers to allow ribbon/in-fill developments vs maintaining existing open areas.
    8. The views of residents will be collected at MPC/NHP meetings (eg on 3 April) and from the ‘all-village’ survey. SB suggested that the NHP should consult Developers for their views too. Care was advised as ‘informal’ conversations could be misconstrued and quoted in applications. It would be better to consult on the agreed sites, to be announced by CBC after 6 June.
    9. The potential and (financial) advantages of MPC-owned land being offered for development was also discussed. This could be offered to CBC even though they are not on the current Call for Sites list. Although such sites would not be included in CBC’s Community Plan it could be considered as a ‘windfall site’ and suitable for development in preference.
    10. Concern was expressed that Maulden (or any other parish) could be used to ‘soak up’ unused ‘quota from other parishes.
  1. Joint NHP/Maulden PC Housing consultation meeting (3/4/17)
    1. This meeting is intended to help the Parish identify sites which residents would prefer to ‘fill’ or ‘protect’. It was proposed to use CBC’s ‘Call for Sites’ map as a basis for this exercise – although 75% of sites across Beds had already been rejected by CBC, so some of those in Maulden may not now be an option anyway.   
    2. PJ suggested that although the ‘interim’ Housing Questionnaire produced by the NHP for the first NHP Introductory meeting in January was not finalised, this format would provide the necessary information about the demand, size and type of properties needed. [ACTION: DB to send latest version of the ‘Housing Questionnaire’ to PJ, and AP to ensure sufficient copies printed for use at the meeting on 3 April.]
    1. Coloured (eg green/red) dots could be used to identify individual’s preferences ‘for or against’ locations. Siobahn offered the strips of numbered colour-coded dots left over from CBC’s consultation exercise. [ACTION:  SV/CBC to deliver the ‘dots’ + full-size maps and relevant leaflets to AP, before the meeting on 3 April.]
    2. Useful comments were made by The Council for the Protection of Rural England (CPRE) in their objections to the Old Farm site on Clophill Road. They highlighted the importance of the landscape around the Greensand Ridge, demonstrated by the Greensand Country Landscape Partnership recently receiving £1.66M Lottery Funding to ‘protect and preserve’ the area around the Ridge. Their submission letter is available via the CBC Planning Portal, but a copy will be posted on the NHP section of www.MauldenVillage.org  website.  [ACTION: AP to post copy of CPRE’s on the NHP webpage.]
  1. Report from Maulden Parish Council meetings (13/3/17 + 27/3/17) [RB/PJ]
    1. Cllr Roger Ball and Philip Jackson reported briefly on two recent MPC’s meetings. At their meeting on 13 March the PC had agreed in principle to offer some PC-owned land (near the School and allotments) for development.
    2. The PC meeting on 27 March considered the planning applications for 21 houses nr Trilley Field, at Hall End (not in the Call for Sites); 23 on land near Wheatlands Close and the development at Green End (5×5 bed dwellings).  PC has objected on the grounds above, plus the school being full and increased traffic.
    3. The PC had increased its Council Tax as it had not been increased for some years and the Council will overspend on its precept, mainly on replacing and improving lighting.
  1. Funding
  1. SB (NHP Treasurer) reported that he had met with DB and AP on Sat 26 Feb to complete the online application, but had been unable to obtain all the information needed to complete and submit it to CB. This has still not been completed, due to pressure of work on key individuals.  [ACTION:  SB/DB to complete and submit the formal application.]
  2. PJ confirmed that the PC had also agreed to ‘loan’ the NHP up to £250 for publicity materials etc, in advance of funding being received.  An account for the NHP funds will need to be set up, via MPC and invoices should be sent to the PC as these would not then be subject to VAT. [ACTION: DB/SB]            
  1. Project Plan

Deferred to next meeting.

  1. Working Group Updates

Deferred to next meeting.

  1. Communications
  1. Discussion deferred, except:
    1. Introductory text – needed for leaflet, etc [ACTION: AM]
    2. Logo – SR had produced a couple of versions, with split support.  Ideas were exchanged which he will consider and try to revise before the Housing meeting. [ACTION: SR]
    3. Quotes – needed for funding application, including publicity materials, a banner and the website. [ACTION: SR]
    4. Delivery of survey and/or leaflets – Street Watch and the Scouts were suggested.
  1. AOB
  1. NHP AGM – AP reported that the Village Hall is still booked on 25/4/17 for another NHP/MPC consultation meeting. This date was too early for the proposed NHP Infrastructure Group/Traffic Calming meeting, so NHP Chair had suggested this could be used for the NHP AGM with a view to filling all Steering Group posts and Group Leaders. New members and helpers are needed.
  2. Training needs – The CBC training event is provisionally planned for Friday 28 April, at the Greensand Trust HQ, on the A6. SV asked what we needed, and was advised that WGp leaders need a steer on framing their questions and getting the wording ‘right’ for completing and analysing the Survey effectively; the format of ‘As Is’ Statements and production of the final report. It would also be a good opportunity to learn any tips from others.

[ACTION: AP to contact Siobhan Vincent to confirm arrangements and who is going.]

  1. Speeding/Traffic data – Phil Allen asked for any recent information that could be used to challenge the applications, eg at Hall End as well as Green End. Deadline 14 April. [ACTION: AP to contact Maulden Speed Watch Coordinator, Malcolm Crawford.]
  1. Maps – Nigel Coote has access to maps. [ACTION:  Robbie Locke (Environment Group Leader) to discuss with Nigel.]
  2. Next meeting – Wednesday 26 April, 8pm in The George [ACTION: AP to check room booked.]

Meeting ended at 21:45pm

MV NHP Steering Committee Minutes 30 Nov 2016

Minutes of the 8th meeting – 30 November 2016

Held in the Meeting Room, at The George Inn, Maulden, 20:00hrs

Present

Committee/Working Group members:

David Bailey (Chair)

Julie Sheppard (Vice Chair/Chair of Social, Education & Welfare WG)

Simon Barnes (Treasurer/Chair Local Economy WG)

Alan Plom (Secretary/Chair Infrastructure WG)

Cllr Roger Ball (Maulden Parish Council/Chair Housing WG)

Mark Bingham

Emma Jackson

Ruth Plom

Angela Strevens

Guest Speakers:

Siobhan Vincent (Central Beds Council Neighbourhood Involvement Officer)

Jemma McLean (Community Development Officer, Bedfordshire Rural Communities Charity (BRCC)

Observers:

Cllr Philip Jackson (MPC Chair)

Alan Murray

Madelyne Edwards

William Edwards

Julian Smith

Ian Hill-Smith

Ron Williams (Street Watch Coordinator)

Barry (Name not recorded)

Apologies for absence:

Cllr Christine Inskip

Marilyn Caves

Patricia Bragg

Cllr Jayne Walker

Absent:

Robbie Locke

Andrew Draycott

Simon Ratcliffe

  1. Welcome and Update from the Chair
    1. The Chair:
  1. welcomed everyone to the meeting – especially our guest speakers from CBC and BRCC, and other new attendees;
  2. described how the Steering Group is currently structured and our activities to date;
  3. explained that as we are now sufficiently organised and able to start to ‘reach out’ to the community, we have started to raise awareness via Maulden Voice and other direct routes of communication, eg at meetings, and had put out an open invitation for anyone to attend the ‘pre-meeting’ in The George to meet members. 
  4. was pleased to see the ‘new faces’ around the table and encouraged everyone to share and record their concerns or suggestions on the topic-based ‘Ideas Sheets’ laid out on the tables (and to provide their contact details).                                                                                         [ACTION: This will be a regular feature at meetings to enable the ‘less vocal’ to have an input];
  5. highlighted the 2 recent ‘shocks which had woken up the Village’ and the significant part played by members of the Group, ie the major ‘gas outage’ incident which had put significant strain on the area’s infrastructure (eg electricity, emergency planning, communications, village hall, food outlets, etc) and the consultation in the Village Hall on the proposed housing development on Clophill Road.
  6. Invited all present to outline their role, interest and any relevant experience/help they could bring to the process.
  1. Minutes of previous meeting (26/10/16)

Agreed and signed by DB.

  1. Matters arising and actions carried forward

Matters arising were reviewed briefly and mostly dealt with under agenda items. Outstanding items listed under AOB (Item 10)

  1. Village Update
  1. Gas Incident – The most notable issue was the 5-day long gas ‘outage’ in mid Nov, following damage to the main pipeline under the new housing development in Abbey Lane, Ampthill.  This had highlighted the need for and importance of emergency planning and effective communications. Maulden Village Hall was used as the area’s ‘Command Centre’ – considerable damage was caused to the grass, but this will be repaired.  The developers involved (Bloor Homes) had already contributed to the (larger) Village Christmas Tree.
  2. The impact and general response across the area was discussed. CBC’s ‘Emergency Response Committee’ had been very active behind the scenes, coordinating the various agencies and voluntary groups. NHP Vice-Chair JS was also widely complimented (including by National Grid) for her efforts to keep the village informed via Maulden Voice.  The unprecedented number of posts and responses from organisations and villagers had been widely read and information was passed on effectively to those not ‘on-line’. The ‘Community Spirit’ shown by people and organisations offering help to others was also remarkable and should be built upon.
  3. Public Consultation – The other recent event of note was the exhibition held in the Village Hall on Tuesday 1 Nov about the proposed development of 50 houses at Old Farm on Clophill Road.  It was widely felt that this was a speculative exercise and was not well-run, mainly due to lack of information and the representatives of the consultants (ADAS) being unfamiliar with the area and its problems.  It was felt that their Survey questions were ‘loaded’ and didn’t cover such issues as infrastructure and increased pressure on facilities and utilities. Concerns were also expressed that it was likely the site could be expanded into adjacent fields, and several local residents have already been approached to sell land. This emphasised the value of having a formal, enforceable NHP. CBC’s Local Plan specifying a ‘target’/limit for new dwellings in the area is keenly awaited.             [ACTION: All to consider CBC’s Local Plan Consultation doc – due out on 17? Jan 2017.]
  4. The timing of the ADAS Consultation event (held between 2 and 6:30pm) was also criticised as it was not suitable for those at work, and this would result in the feedback being skewed.          [ACTION: This limitation should be remembered for any NHP consultation meetings held in future. We need to consider how to canvass the views of residents more widely.]
  5. However, several members were able to attend the Consultation event and it proved to be a useful opportunity to raise awareness of the NHP and to get comments from residents (using the leaflet summarising the HNP and seeking comments (and help).
  6. Cllr Jackson suggested this event was a useful model for future consultations and said that ADAS have agreed to share their feedback and also the results of their traffic survey. This would inform the strategic thinking for MPC and the NHP.               [ACTION: PJ/MPC to obtain ADAS survey information for use by NHP WG’s]

5. Support from CBC

  1. Siobhan Vincent (SV) explained that CBC’s Planning Policy Department are developing the Local Plan and that her role as Neighbourhood Involvement Officer is to assist local Town/Parish groups to develop their NHPs and to provide a link into the Council and its Officers. 26 of the 79 parishes in Central Beds are preparing local ‘Village Plans’ and all are at different stages. NHPs can take between 18 months and 4 years, but SV considered that Maulden is comparatively well-advanced with a good structure and background information already obtained. She also reassured us that the large number of other ongoing projects would not impact adversely on the priority and support we would receive.
  2. Siobhan emphasised that NHP’s are the resident’s Plans, not any Council’s and Officers accepted that they will differ, to reflect each community and its specific needs. However, CBC is keen to ensure that NHPs in its area are consistent with the ‘National Planning Policy Framework’ and support ‘sustainable development’ – in line with the Local Plan. CBC Officers realise the additional legal ‘weight’ of NHPs and they will be used and considered up to Sec of State level in appeals against Planning Applications.  Early and continued liaison with CBC (via SV) is therefore vital. [ACTION: AP to send copies of NHPSG Minutes to SV.]
  3. It is also important to ‘get the wording right’ and SV can help us to draft Policies. Training can also be organised for WG leaders and others involved, together with other NHP Groups. A list of other areas developing NHPs is available on CBCs website. We have already had contact with Clophill and Marston, as well as Hail Weston (in Cambs).  Examples and templates from other published NHP and Community Plans have also been obtained and circulated.            

[ACTION: DB/AP to arrange training session, via Siobhan and/or Sally Chapman (at Chicksands?) asap.]

  1. SV was asked if Parishes would be given a target for development, ie ‘x’ area of land to deliver ‘y’ houses. At present there is no target, and requirements are being discussed with neighbouring local authorities. It is expected that NHPs will create a matrix of ‘preferred sites for development’, eg based on local ‘housing needs’ surveys (with Communities expressing their choices in terms of what is ‘desirable’ as opposed to ‘achievable’, in response to NHP questionnaires) and local knowledge of significant factors such as areas at risk from surface water would provide an evidence base against which developers would have to justify any alternative sites. It is also important to pull out positives as well as negatives from planning applications and base any objections on solid evidence and statistics.
  1. DB reminded the meeting that the NHP must be fair and support CBC’s Local Plan, but should reflect the local needs for housing which is “appropriate, suitable, affordable (including shared ownership or subsidised) and sustainable”, with choice for those who want to remain in the village and ‘down-size’ or move into sheltered accommodation, or others who want to move into the area. However, the NHP is not just about housing, but also businesses / economic and social structure, employment, education and other community needs (eg village hall, facilities for the disabled or mentally ill, different age groups, etc).
  2. Consultation on CBC’s initial ‘high level’ Document closed on 1 November 2016, but it is still available on CBC’s website.  This divided the CB area into ‘corridors’ with Maulden in the middle and defined as an area suitable for ‘small developments’, restricted to 4 different areas.  [ACTION: DB to put CBC’s Con Doc on NHP’s FB Group.]
  1. Applying for Funding (Support from BRCC)
  1. Jemma McLean described her role as the Community Development Officer with Bedfordshire Rural Communities Charity (BRCC). She is funded by CBC (working 2 days/week) to provide independent/neutral advice, to signpost information for NHPs and help to apply for funding. A total of £9k is available for NHP’s, with a minimum of £1k to be paid per instalment, each to be spent within 6 months.. This is a relatively easy, non-competitive process, provided certain criteria are met. The draft Maulden NHP Project Plan will need to be finalised.          
  2. Jemma has been involved in producing Town and Parish Plans and Village Statements for 10 years, helping with Community consultation, arranging events and designing questionnaires. This will help us to identify the demographics and how we can reach all of the population. 
  3. BRCC’s Rural Housing Liaison Officer has carried out Housing Needs surveys and they are also involved in Green Infrastructure Planning, carrying out assessments for environmental projects, analysing use of green spaces, etc.               [ACTION: DB, AP and SB to arrange meeting with JM at BRCC.]
  1. Report from MPC
  1. Cllr Ball had no additional information to report since the last meeting. The next MPC meeting is on Monday 12 November 2016.  Several members propose to attend.
  1. Working Group updates
  1. ‘Regulation’ (ie ‘Governance/Regulation/Legal & Crime’ WG) – Police Crime Report recently posted on MV. New Chair needed as DB will need to stand down to provide independent oversight and coordination between Working Groups. Chair. [ACTION DB]
  2. Local Economy / Business – SB reported on his initial (unsuccessful) attempt to contact the 115 businesses listed on the Register – only one was returned. He is intending to contact them all directly in person, and is developing a leaflet for this approach. There are some very large companies based in the village and we also need to remember the 3 pubs are significant employers too.
  3. Housing – RB has started the ‘As Is’ statement, but still needs help. RB is not sure he is best placed to do this. [ACTION: RB to discuss with DB]
  4. Infrastructure – AP explained that he needed to expand his current draft ‘As Is’ Statement following the recent major gas incidents, and several other comments made at the meeting.
  5. Environment – No update provided by RL. Alan Murray suggested we ask if a local student is studying planning, with a view to getting them to do their thesis on the village.
  6. ‘Social, Education and Welfare’ – JS circulated her latest report and draft ‘As Is’ statement. Their first meeting was on 15 Nov, and there are now 10 people on her sub-committee, bringing a range of experience and information. However, these are weighted towards the older generation and input is needed on health and education (especially early years), as well as sports clubs and other community groups, to paint a full picture of the village.
  7. ACTIONS (including those outstanding from last meeting):
    1. Consistency: DB to spend time with each WG Chair, for consistency of ‘As Is’ Statements and to help start devising the Questions for the Village Survey.
    2. WG Secretary: The possibility of employing a ‘professional’, to assist Group Leaders when paperwork becomes onerous (and if sufficient funds are available). 
    3. Consultants – Navigus (or similar) to be contacted to attend one of our meetings,  after our training, as we will be better informed and get more out of them.
    4. ‘Roles and Responsibilities’AP to re-circulate copy of Hail Weston’s guidance and discuss with DB.
    5. Survey PermitDB/AP to check if we need a ‘license’/approval (from CBC) to distribute the leaflet/Questionnaire.
  1. Communications Update
  1. Publicity – We have started to ‘reach out’ to the community, eg via the Parish Magazine and Social Media – Maulden Voice Face Book group has been used to raise awareness of the Group and public invited to comment via the Maulden Village website (http://www.mauldenvillage.org.uk/) . This has been updated, with further SG minutes now added. A ‘flyer’ was produced for use at the various Village events and meetings we have attended.
  2. Feedback – We have also received lots of comments already from villagers with regard to future development. We’ve also had advice from CBC and BRCC as well as others who have been involved in producing NHP’s. We now have more regular members and observers attending Steering Group and Working Group meetings and introduced a series of ‘Ideas Sheets’ for recording any comments at this meeting. These covered:
    • ‘What is Maulden?’
    • Vision for Maulden
    • Security, Police, etc
    • Environment – Woods, parks, SSSI, Greensand Ridge path, etc
    • Infrastructure – Roads, paths, power, water, etc
    • Housing – Enough sustainable, appropriate. For whom? Where?
    • Local Economy – Jobs, business, shops, pubs, etc.
    • Social – young, old, schools, clubs, sports, churches.
  1. Next steps – We will be stepping up publicity in the New Year to get more involvement and ideas from the community. To this end, we have designed a publicity leaflet and will shortly go through the process to get the grant so we can then print and issue this, door to door. The group will now move to direct consultation on specific areas of the NHP, starting with a ‘What is Maulden today’ project and moving by mid Spring into looking at future requirements and desires. One ‘task’ group has already started preparing information for the first public ‘get together’ (date and time to be confirmed) to get ideas, information, etc, from the community.

ACTIONS:

  1. Articles: DB/SB to finalise and submit the article for the ‘Oracle’ magazine.  Article for ‘Beds on Sunday’ also suggested – when we receive funding and develop a recognisable ‘brand’, (as recommended by other CP’s). [AM]
  2. Posters and leaflets: Liquid Designs and All Fidelity Print still to be contacted. [DB]
  3. ‘Themed’ village meetings could be held by each WG, eg Social and Community, Local Economy, etc to engage with the community and get a wider input – and hopefully more volunteers and ideas.  Information being prepared for initial open meeting. [JS]
  4. Overall Theme: “Your Voice is Important” was suggested at the last meeting and will be discussed with CBC’s Advisor at our training day.
  5. Film – The suggested You Tube video to describe the NHP could be proposed as a project in the longer term, eg for a Business and Media Studies student at Redborne – when we have the money! [DB/JS]
  6. Social Media and Website – [ACTION: SR’s offer of help to develop the website content, surveys and marketing to be followed up.  [DB/AP/SR]
  1. AOB
  1. Outstanding actions: to be carried over to next meeting:
  1. MNHP funding – A separate bank account will be set up for the NHP when funding is obtained. Reports will be presented to PC meetings. [DB/SB]
  2. Traffic Calming – MPC to be asked (again) for a report and open public meeting to review and discuss the options suggested at the meeting on 30 August between S Lakin (CBC), and representatives of MPC, NHP and other relevant local Groups (ie Safer Maulden and Speed Watch) [AP]
  3. Safer Maulden’s Survey – Timing to be considered and the draft Questionnaire amended to reflect recent and proposed discussions and explain realistic options. [AP] 
  4. Details of expenditure committed (on the assessment for traffic calming measures) to date by CBC to be passed on to Safer Maulden and MPC. [SB/RB]
  5. Safer Maulden’s funds could be transferred to MPC. [SB]
  1. DB thanked everyone, especially our guest speakers and ‘new faces’ for coming out to our meeting in the evening. Julian Smith was also thanked again for attending and hosting it in The George. The comments recorded on the ‘Ideas Sheets’ [specifically on ‘Housing’ will be retained and passed on to the WGp. [AP]
  1. Next meeting due on Wednesday 28 December will be deferred – 4 Jan was suggested, or an alternative ‘Xmas social gathering’ TBC. [DB/JS/AP]

Meeting ended at 21:30pm

MV NHP Steering Committee Minutes 25 Jan 2017

Minutes of the 9th meeting – 25 January 2017

Held in the Meeting Room, at The George Inn, Maulden, 20:00hrs

Present

Committee/Working Group members:

David Bailey (Chair)

Julie Sheppard (Vice Chair/Chair of Social, Education & Welfare WG)

Alan Plom (Secretary/Chair Infrastructure WG)

Simon Ratcliffe (Local Economy WG)

Observers:

Ian Hill-Smith

Stephen Summerfield

Sue Bluffield

Sian Browning

Mike Browning

Apologies for absence:

Simon Barnes

Alan Murray

Cllr Philip Jackson

Cllr Roger Ball

Cllr Christine Inskip

Marilyn Caves

Patricia Bragg

Cllr Jayne Walker

Mark Bingham

  1. Welcome and Update from the Chair

The Chair welcomed the guests to the meeting, but as only 4 members of the Steering Group/Working Groups were able to attend due to other commitments and their attendance at the joint NHP/MPC ‘Planning for the Future of Maulden’ meeting the previous evening, the Chair deferred discussion on all matters on the agenda until the next meeting, 22 Feb 2017. 

  1. Minutes of previous meeting (26/10/16)

As there was a quorum (of 3 members), the Chair signed the minutes and then closed the formal meeting.

Informal Discussion

David explained the current position and activities of the NHP Groups, the process of producing the NHP and value of producing an interim ‘Community Plan’.  He used slides to present a detailed analysis of the comments and ‘housing needs’ questionnaires completed the previous evening. Julie and Alan also summarised the comments received in relation to their Working Group’s topics, ie ‘Social, Education & Welfare’, and ‘Infrastructure’ respectively. This led to a useful discussion with the guests about the impact of previous and current developments in the village, and their concerns about the impact of ‘over development’ in the future. The definition of ‘affordable housing’ was also debated.

Actions

  1. The NHP should engage with local schools, including Redborne – possibly involving students in projects supporting the NHP.  SR provided some useful contacts to explore this with.
  2. ii.Mike Browning is interested in the Environment Working Group, due to his involvement with the Wildlife Trust.  Mike to be contacted by the Group Leader (Robbie Locke).

Meeting ended at 21:30pm

MV NHP Steering Committee Minutes 22 Feb 2017

Minutes of the 10th meeting – 22 February 2017

Held in the Meeting Room, at The George Inn, Maulden, 20:00hrs

Present

Committee/Working Group members:

Julie Sheppard (Vice Chair SG/Chair of Social, Education & Welfare WG)

David Bailey (SG Chair)

Simon Barnes (Treasurer/Chair Local Economy WG)

Robbie Locke (Chair Environment WG)

Alan Murray (Communications)

Alan Plom (Secretary/Chair Infrastructure WG)

Cllr Roger Ball (Maulden Parish Council)

Simon Ratcliffe

Ruth Plom

Observers:

Julian Smith

Cath Benneyworth

Leslie Reynolds

Nigel Coote

Stephen Summerfield

Apologies for absence:

Marilyn Caves

Mark Bingham

Ian Hill-Smith

Sue Bluffield

  1. Welcome and Update from the Vice-Chair

Julie chaired the meeting (as David was delayed) and welcomed everyone, including several new attendees.  All present outlined their role, interest and relevant experience/help they could bring to the Group.

  1. Minutes of previous meeting (25/1/17)

Agreed and Julie duly signed.

  1. Matters arising and actions carried forward

The full list of matters arising (from 25/1/17 and 30/11/16) deferred to next meeting.

  1. Village and working party updates
  1. Moving Maulden Forward
    1. The Joint NHP/MPC meeting held on 24/1/17 was reviewed. Julie praised David and the ‘NHP Team’ for providing clear information on the scope and role of the NHP and the various Working Groups (WG). Maulden Parish Council (MPC) Chair was also very supportive. 100+ attended. Good interaction and feedback but the lack of ‘younger’ people was disappointing and we need to find other ways to get them interested and out to future consultation meetings. The next is being planned for 25/4/17 on ‘Housing’ with further meetings focussed on each WG topic at approx. 6 week intervals.
    2. Julie explained this had given us an opportunity to develop and refine the questions needed for the Village Survey and useful feedback already received. For example:
    3. ‘Social, Education and Welfare’ – Julie summarised the responses to her WG’s initial questionnaire. Key concerns identified were the unreliable and costly bus service, the high proportion of children driven to Maulden School – and the consequent problem of inadequate parking near the school.  JS proposes to approach the new School Head.

[ACTION JS: Julian Smith kindly offered to let teachers use The George car park.]

    1. ‘Infrastructure’ – Alan described his questions, which cover roads, transport, utilities and services. The main concerns were speeding and the condition of roads, poor broadband and mobile phone service. The bus service and car parking (particularly near the school) were also highlighted. This will inform discussions about traffic calming between Central Beds Council (CBC), MPC and others in relation to the proposed match funding bid, but it is not the NHP’s role to identify exactly what should be done. 
    2. The format of questions to avoid leading answers was discussed. David advised the NHP’s questions should lead to ‘reasonable answers’, eg to identify if priority should be given to spending ‘CIL’ money [ie Community Infrastructure Levy on developers which could raise ~£108k/100 homes] or to selling MPC land (eg specifically to pay for ‘traffic calming’). David estimated this could raise ~£1.5m/Ha or more, ie ~£4.2m per 100 homes.
    3. Villagers’ preferred options and locations will be identified by Safer Maulden’s proposed survey. Simon Barnes is a Trustee and Alan is also linked with Safer Maulden.  Alan also produced and trialled their survey at the event on 24 Jan. All agreed that decisions should be based on evidence, and experience in other villages should be sought.  Greenfield and Lilley were mentioned as locations where various traffic calming measures have been tried

[ACTION: AP to contact Nigel Coote, for his useful contacts in Lilley (including on their PC).]

    1. ‘Local Economy’ – Simon Barnes explained that Simon Ratcliffe is preparing a leaflet describing the NHP and seeking comments.  This will be delivered to all local businesses, to overcome the poor response to his initial email. A small amount of money will be needed for printing and this needs to be added to the draft budget. [ACTION: SB/DB]
    2. ‘Environment’ – Robbie Locke has produced a draft ‘As Is’ statement, and draft questions were trialled on 24 Jan. His update summarises the 9 responses received so far.  However, these probably did not reflect the ‘demographic’ that might ‘use’ local areas.
    3. ‘Housing’ –David reported a ‘surprising’ amount of feedback from the 24 January meeting. This has been analysed and the summary charts and information presented at the last meeting posted on www.mauldenvillage.org website. This has already been used by MPC and others in response to recent planning applications.

[ACTION:  RB to circ copy of the Housing Questionnaire to all MPC Cllrs for info.]

    1. Discussions and feedback from residents concerned about the possible development at Old Hall Farm (Clophill Rd) had confirmed that a Housing Survey is needed asap to collect and collate resident’s views and to create a ‘vision’ for Maulden.

ACTION: MPC Chair was to obtain and provide a copy of the ADAS Consultation summary.

    1. There was a strong indication that smaller homes were needed and preferred to larger 4-5 bed houses. This will feed into the Village/Community Plan and the Local Plan for Central Beds. The ‘Housing Needs Survey’ report commissioned by MPC in 2013 had been used as a basis for the Questionnaire, but it was agreed another ‘Housing Needs Survey’ is needed. This was proposed to be commissioned with BRCC as soon as funding is obtained.
    2. However, David and Julie have written an ‘Interim Housing questionnaire’ regarding the future developmental needs for housing in Maulden. The questions were available for inspection at the meeting. It was hoped the questionnaire would be finalised with a map (Robbie to provide) and foreword (Alan M to provide), then to be printed and delivered to the whole village as part of our ‘community plan’.  This might then inform planning decisions before the NHP is complete. 
    3. All draft Questionnaires and summaries of responses will be placed in the Steering Group’s Dropbox folder and on the NHP webpage on www.mauldenvillage.org . [ACTION: WG Leaders]
  1. Report from Maulden Parish Council meetings (16/1/17 + 20/2/17)
    1. Cllr Roger Ball reported on discussions at MPC’s January meeting. As at the MPC/NHP meeting on 24 January, the proposal to use planters for traffic calming had led to some debate and opposing views, so no decision had been reached.  The MPC meeting on 20 Feb had to be deferred due to an administrative error. Roger clarified that match funding had not actually been applied for, but the MPC Chair had agreed with CBC that a bid can be submitted later in the year, when (if!) a project is agreed.
    2. Roger has circulated the draft NHP Steering Group minutes to Councillors, to keep them fully informed. ACTION: AP to add MPC & Ward Cllrs to the ‘NHP Consultees’ list.
    3. Roger referred to the two big planning applications had been received, ie for the large developments at Old Hall Farm, Clophill Rd and at the junction with Green End Lane.  MPC would be objecting strongly to both on the grounds that these are both large areas of open land, outside the ‘settlement envelope’, and good agricultural land will be lost.   MPC have responded to both applications mentioning the emerging Maulden Neighbourhood Plan and an emerging desire in the village to be involved in the NHP, and feel these applications are “premature and insufficient”.
    4. David has had discussions with MPC Chair to clarify the boundaries between NHP and MPC. He also confirmed that MPC can provide a small amount of funding if needed, eg for publicity before funding is obtained from CBC.
  1. Watching Out For Maulden” event (16/2/17) – Convened by the Police to promote membership and volunteers for the 3 ‘Watches’ (‘Neighbourhood’, ‘Speed’ and ‘Street’) in Maulden.  Although only 50 attended on the night – despite all houses in the village receiving a flyer + extensive advertising in social media and articles in the local paper – it still proved to be another useful opportunity to raise awareness of what the NHP (thanks to Alan Murray) and Safer Maulden (by Alan Plom) can do for Maulden and further NHP questionnaires were completed. Again it was mostly older residents.
  1. CBC’s ‘Community Planning’ event (23/2/17) – several Steering Group members proposed to attend the ‘open meeting’ between 2 and 7pm at Haynes Village Hall (including Simon B, Alan, Roger and David).
  1. Funding
  1. The initial (very lengthy) ‘Expression of Interest’ on-line form had been completed and approval received to apply formally. A draft Project Plan and budget has also been produced. These are fundamental because any funds requested (from the total of £9k support available) must be spent within a limited period, so a series of applications will be needed during the 2-3 year life of the project.
  2. Funding can be used to pay for a wide range of activities, including publicity, website, meetings/venues, Public Indemnity Insurance, engaging researchers to help establish the evidence base (eg Housing and Environment Surveys), consultants and specialist advisors on the process and to ensure the final NHP is fit to be submitted.  An account for the NHP funds will also need to be set up, via MPC. All agreed to leave the detailed application to the ‘Funding Team’.

[ACTION:  David, Julie, Simon and Alan P to meet at DB’s, 10:30am on Sat 26 Feb to complete and submit the formal application.]            

  1. Project Plan

David outlined some key elements of the Plan but further discussion was deferred to the next meeting.

  1. Communications
  1. A suitable introduction to the Interim Housing questionnaire is needed to set realistic expectations, ie to emphasise its statutory status in planning applications and to acknowledge that ‘some development’ is inevitable, but it is about preventing ‘uncontrolled development’.

[ACTION:  AM to produce draft text.]

  1. A logo is also needed, eg for publicity materials, a banner and the website.

[ACTION: SR]

  1. AOB
  1. Training needs – Discussed briefly. WGp leaders feel they need a steer on framing their questions and getting the wording ‘right’ for the Survey, and the format of the ‘As Is’ Statements, to cover everything that is required. Unfortunately, CBC cannot provide training until late-May but Jemma McLean at BRCC has offered to help us meanwhile.

[ACTION: AP to discuss this with Siobhan Vincent at CBC’s Community Planning event at Haynes on 23 Feb.]

  1. Next meeting – Wednesday 29 March, 8pm in The George [ACTION: AP to book room.]

Meeting ended at 21:35pm

VILLAGE MEETING 7:30pm MONDAY 3rd APRIL

MONDAY APRIL 3rd at VILLAGE HALL.
Open at 19:30h (7:30pm)
 
This is your big chance to influence which sites get chosen FOR and AGAINST development in the village.
 
Please come – notices on posts all around the village.
Please bring friends, especially younger ones.
If you own land put forwards for development, please come along.
If you want to see specific things built, come along.
If you want to see specific sorts of homes built, come along.
Basically, come along, and VOTE (using coloured stickers on maps!)